Francko's famous Tortilla soup !
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 big red pepper
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin or mexican chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded vegan Monterrey jack ''cheese'' (optionnal)
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- handful of chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the pepper and onion stir fry mix, garlic, cayenne ,chipotle and cumin, and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix in the tomatoes and chile peppers. Pour in the broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Puree 2 cups of the soup in a blender , and continue cooking 5 minutes. Serve in bowls over equal amounts of tortilla chips. Top with ''cheese'' ,cilantro , lime and avocado.